Psya1 AS Predictions For May 2014
Right folks as promised i’m going to give you my thoughts on what I think you need to concentrate on for this paper and what may come up. Remember – these are just my opinion and no guarantee but its what I would personally look to focus on if I was sitting the exams again now. I usually like to look at the last 3 papers and see which have been 12 mark questions but also which have also been 8 markers too. If they have been asked as an 8 marker (which is fairly big in itself) I assume its probably less likely it will come up as a big question again in any form such as a 12 marker in the following paper.
As always – If your struggling to write your essays or unsure how to write 8-12 mark questions for your AS units be sure to check out my model essay answers for Psya1 here and model essays for Psya2 here. They will definitely help.
- All the past Psya1 12-8 mark questions are available here.
- All the possible 12 mark essay questions are listed here.
The last three 12 – 8 markers for Psya1 have been:
- Outline and evaluate research into cultural variations in attachment (12 Marker
- Outline and evaluate research into how age can affect the accuracy of eyewitness testimony (EWT) (8 Marks)
- Outline and evaluate research into the effects of failure to form attachment (privation)(12 Marks)
- Outline and evaluate research into the effects of misleading information on eyewitness testimony (8 Marks)
- Outline and evaluate research into the effects of day care on children’s social development (eg aggression, peer relations). (12 Marks)
- Outline the main features of the working memory model (4 Marks)
- Outline one strength and one limitation of the working memory model (2+2)
(this last one might as well have been an 8 marker as it gets you to outline and evaluate the WMM)
Predictions for possible 12 markers for AQA Psychology AS Psya1:
- Outline and evaluate learning theory as an explanation of attachment
- Outline and evaluate research into the effects of institutionalisation
- How research into attachment and day care has influenced child care practices.
Predictions for possible 8 markers for AS Psya1:
- The Cognitive Interview outline and evaluate question.
- Outline and evaluate research into how anxiety can affect the accuracy of eyewitness testimony.
- Multi-Store Memory Model outline/evaluate question
An Explanation For My Predictions For Psya1:
Attachment has come up twice consecutively – in June 2013 and January 2013 in the form of privation. I think its wise to possibly assume these two will not come up again as 12 markers although a smaller question is possible.
I notice the cognitive interview hasn’t been asked as anything particularly big so I would assume that this may be asked in some form but possibly not as a 12 marker.
I think institutionalisation is possible as a 12 marker; it last came up in June 2010 as a 12 marker but hasn’t reared its head since. The question asked back then was:
- Outline and evaluate research into the effects of institutionalisation (12 Marks)
There hasnt been any notable question on how anxiety affects eye witness testimony as an 8 marker or 12 marker. This is one I think may crop up and I would have some material prepared for it – I’m leaning towards it being an 8 marker.
Also I think the Multi-Store Memory Model may be asked as an 8 marker; my reasoning for this is it was last asked in January 2012 as a full 12 marker but hasn’t’ cropped up as a bigger question since. Therefore I assume it will pop up soon.
I think a question on learning theories explanation of attachment is a possible 12 marker. A question on this was last asked as an 8 marker in June 2011 which asked:
- Outline and evaluate learning theory as an explanation of attachment (8 Marks)
So I would prepare for this being asked as a big question as I think it is due an appearance in some form, at least as another 8 marker.
My last bit of focus would be on how research into attachment and day care has influenced child care practices.
I want to say this is a possible 12 marker based on it never having come up but my gut is telling me it will likely be an 8 marker….but I’m going with 12 marker as it’s never appeared.
Thats my thoughts for Psya1 – What do you guys think? Agree, disagree?