You only study unit 3 (7182) if you are doing the full A level for psychology. This has numerous topics for you to pick from and you need to select 3 to study out of the list below (in addition to Issues and debates which is mandatory for everyone and part of section A). The roadmap below outlines your progress to unit 3.
Below you have an outline of everything you study as part of unit 3. Issues and debates is mandatory meaning everyone must answer questions on this however the next sections allow you to pick topics. In total you need to pick 3 topics out of a possible 9 to study and answer questions on. The topics for unit 3 7182 are all detailed below with model essay answers for them which you can download.
Below is an outline of what you need to know for this.
- Gender and culture in psychology – universality bias. Gender bias including androcentrism and alpha and beta bias; cultural bias, including ethnocentrism and cultural relativism.
- Free will and determinism: hard determinism and soft determinism; biological, environmental and psychic determinism. The scientific emphasis on causal explanations.
- The nature-nurture debate: the relative importance of heredity and environment in determining behaviour; the interactionist approach.
- Holism and reductionism: levels of explanation in psychology. Biological reductionism and environmental (stimulus-response) reductionism.
- Idiographic and nomothetic approaches to psychological investigation.
- Ethical implications of research studies and theory, including reference to social sensitivity.
You pick 3 topics to study and answer questions on from the list below which include:
One from: Aggression – Forensic psychology – Addiction
One from: Schizophrenia – Eating behaviour – Stress
One from: Relationships – Cognition and Development – Gender