Psya2 Predictions – May 2015
On to my second set of predictions for AS Psychology and the 2015 Psya2 exam. This exam is being sat on 18th May (2015) in the afternoon and lasts for 1hr 30 minutes. Psya2 is easier than Psya1 mainly because there is no research methods section and the hardest part of this paper is really understanding the biological psychology element of it.
Again with my Psya2 predictions – do not take them for gospel. My aim here is to try and guide you through a process of probability towards questions that haven’t made an appearance in a while with the sole assumption that AQA will not repeat questions back to back between consecutive exam windows. They do this sometimes which makes things harder to call so again do not throw a hissy fit if I get this wrong! The AS exams are really hard to predict because there is simply so many possible questions they can choose from unlike A2 – Ok thats my disclaimer out the way – On to the list of possible questions:
Looking at this you can see theres many different topics we need to learn – let me break them down for you:
The bodies response to stress, including the pituitary-adrenal system and the sympathomedullary pathway in outline (This wont be a 12 mark question as it states “In Outline”) but it can be a question that is smaller usually around 6 marks).
- Stress related illness and the immune system
- Life changes and daily hassles as a source of stress
- Workplace stress including the effects of workload and control
- Personality factors including Type A and Type B behaviour, Hardiness.
- Psychological and biological methods of stress management including stress inoculation therapy and drug therapy.
- Conformity (majority influence) and explanations of why people conform including informational social influence and normative social influence.
- Types of conformity, including internalisation and compliance.
- Obedience to authority, including Milgram’s work and explanations of why people obey.
- Explanations of Independent behaviour, including locus of control, how people resist pressures to conform and resist pressures to obey authority.
- How social influence research helps us to understand social change, the role of minority influence in social change.
- Definitions of abnormality, including deviation from social norms, failure to function adequately and deviation from ideal mental health and limitations of these definitions of psychological abnormality.
- The biological approach to psychopathology.
- Psychological approaches to psychopathology including the psychodynamic, behavioural and cognitive approaches.
- Biological therapies including drugs and ECT.
- Psychological therapies including psychoanalysis, systematic desensitisation and cognitive behavioural therapy.
So theres quite a few possibilities however I’m not convinced all of them can be 12 mark essays due to limited material on some topics – some will be up to 8 markers but to make sure you’re covered I have included 12 mark A grade model essay answers in my Psya2 ebook – just in case – You will need that if you haven’t prepared an essay for every possible 12 marker in advance.
Heres what some students said about my Psya1 ebook after the exam:
Psya2 Predictions For AS Psychology May 18th 2015
My predictions table is below – lets take a look and see what probability has to say:
As I said; I’m not convinced all of these questions can be full 12 markers however I will try gear you towards what I think may make an appearance regardless in some form:
- Stress related illness and the immune system last appeared in June 2011 as a 12 marker – surely its due an appearance?
- Methods of stress management – Either biological or psychological. A broad question asking for either appeared in January 2012 and with 4 exams since it last appeared they could specify one this time round – prepare for both.
- Approaches to psychopathology – Biological, psychodynamic and Cognitive are all possible as they have not appeared as 12 markers yet (Behavioural and Psychodynamic have which suggests the others are possible too)
- Explanations of independent behaviour and how people resist pressures to conform and obey.
- Biological or Psychological Therapies (- After some consideration I have added this to my list of predictions – I think a therapy question is long overdue and originally I wasn’t convinced it could be a 12 marker so I’ve had to examine the material again. I think a therapy question is possible – definitely prepare something for this. Learn two essays for biological and psychological each as they may ask for more than one.
Based on this prediction table of mine some of these should show up in some form – if not as a 12 marker then hopefully as an 8 marker. If you’ve prepared for them you can steal some marks for them that way hopefully.
Hope this helps – if it does, hit the share button, follow me on twitter, Subscribe to YouTube Channel and join the Facebook Study group with over 4900 other students!