My gender predictions are next for the PSYA3 retake students sitting the old spec this June – apologies they are a little late! Just to clarify this is not for new spec students but old spec students retaking their exams looking for some guidance on what has and hasn’t come up. This is your last chance to retake these exams and improve your grades so its incredibly important you give it everything and leave no stone unturned when it comes to your revision. If you wish to improve your A level grades after this point for psychology then you will need to study the new specification from the beginning as you cannot combine old spec and new spec results for a final A level grade.
Gender is usually a popular third topic along with Aggression and Relationships and I’ve had a lot of people request this topic so I thought I would see if there are any obvious questions that are sticking out that I think you should watch out for. As I always state do not go into the exam revising only these predictions; you would be mad to do that so please only use these as a guide so you know what has and hasn’t appeared. I will share with you what I think is personally going to come up but this is merely my opinion on what I would give more focus to rather than revise solely.
Gender has many potential essays which include:
- The role of genes and hormones.
- Evolutionary explanations of gender roles.
- The biosocial approach to gender development.
- Explanations of gender dysphoria.
- Kohlberg’s cognitive development theory.
- Gender schema theory.
- Social influences on gender role.
- Cultural influences on gender role.
You need to make sure going into the exam that you have memorised essay answers for all these possible essays. As you are literally days away I hope revision has been going well for you and you are in the process of memorising all your created essays – if you are struggling or lack any of these essays than I would recommend downloading my Gender ebook by clicking the image on the right. This provides top banding A* model essay answers all the Loopa students have been using to smash this Gender topic and will save you the time and effort of having to create top-banding essays from scratch. The ebook is an instant download so there is no waiting involved.
Gender Predictions PSYA3 2017
Last year we had a 4 marker on the role of genes and hormones and a 20 marker on Gender schema theory. In my eyes this rules out Gender schema theory as it also came up only 2 years prior. Looking at the table we can also see that there are quite a few overdue questions that may be more likely and we can only really rule out 2 essays in my eyes which are Gender schema theory and social influences on gender role (which appeared in June 2015). The order in which I would prioritise the essays are as follows:
- Evolutionary explanations of gender roles – This hasn’t appeared in any form according to my table and it goes as far back as June 2011. So a question on this topic is well overdue and needs to be seriously revised for.
- Explanations of gender Dyshoria – An essay on gender dysphoria is also likely in my eyes considering there hasn’t been any questions that have looked at explanations of this ever.
- Cultural influences on gender role – Hasn’t appeared since June 2011. Thats 7 exam windows ago so it’s very overdue.
- The role of genes and hormones – Yes this did come up as a 4 marker but in my eyes that isn’t enough for it to be ruled out. Prior to that its had nothing on it so it should still be prepared for and considered a possibility.
- The biosocial approach to gender development – A question on this appeared in January 2013 and its been 4 exam windows since then so should still be considered a possibility.
- Kohlberg’s cognitive development theory – This appeared in June 2013 and even though there are more overdue questions, I think if they wanted to throw you a curve ball this would be it really. This is because its been 3 exam windows since it appeared and it is such a crucial topic to know. Also the fact that gender schema theory was asked twice in 3 years means they are not averse to making this tricky for this topic.
So these are the main 6 topics I would focus my attention on and the order in which I would give them the most focus. There are some clear topics which havent made an appearance (or not a significant appearance being only small mark questions) so I’ve tried to number them in terms of priority. It is always wise to learn everything however going into the exam.
So these are my thoughts – what are yours? What other topics would you like to see me cover?
If you want to be super AWESOME please be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel by clicking the subscribe button above on the right. I’m currently working on growing this steadily and I hope to cover revision related content as well as give people a bit more of an insight into my life. It would be great to have you all join me on my journey as I grow this :)