New Spec AS Unit 2 Psychology May 2016 Predictions
My AS predictions last week for unit 1 appeared to work out well so I figured I should give unit 2 a go too. Again remember these are merely my thoughts on what could come up and they are not guaranteed in anyway. Disclaimer: Paper 2 is MUCH HARDER to predict than paper 1 as almost the entire paper is completely different to the old spec in terms of its layout – it’s really really awkward. Its likely going to take me at least a few exam windows to get the hang of this paper due to its awkward layout. So I’m going to make it clear that just as I was reluctant to release my unit 1 predictions because of the same reason (feeling not so confident) – this is even more so the case with unit 2. To clarify these predictions are for the new psychology specification and unit 2 exam being sat on 23rd May 2016 (not for retake students – you can get my PSYA2 predictions for AS PSYA2 retake students here.
As always revise everything to be safe; my objective with these predictions are merely to guide your focus on what may be overdue and likely to appear in some form; the questions may come up as big essays or medium sized questions. If I get these correct – drop me a tweet or Facebook message on the Loopa study group here: www.facebook.com/aqapsychology – if I get them wrong…don’t hate me :)
If you need help with the new unit 2 exam
If you need additional help with this paper and really are struggling you can download my unit 2 ebook instantly by clicking the image on the right. This ebook covers all the essay based questions that can be asked in the exam and is available instantly as a download for you to use straight away – you can print it too if you wish to make it into a physical copy if needed too. I’ve split everything nicely between theory and evaluation so you know what counts for what within the exam and a lot of students found my unit 1 ebook helpful even the day before the exam just to prepare for the predicted questions better – its there if you need it.
New Specification Unit 2 Predictions
To unlock the predictions be AWESOME and hit the LIKE button to help support Loopa and join our study-group with over 12k students and teachers. It helps support the blog and also keeps you up to date with new posts and resources as I release them. You may need to click like/unlike a few times for it to work (wait a second between each click) and it should unlock below.
As I said this paper is extremely hard to predict; arguably the hardest of all 3 exam papers for this A level so I want to try direct your focus on the topics I think need it the most. I can’t unfortunately narrow it down specifically too much as entire chapters are new and they could throw anything from within them at you but where I feel I can be more specific I will try to be.
- The biological approach: The influence of genes, biological structures and neurochemistry on behaviour. Genotype and phenotype, genetic basis of behaviour, evolution of behaviour – The biological approach is overdue in the unit 2 exam in the old spec (and its also in the new spec) and I think if it doesn’t make an appearance in the old spec retake exam which is on the same day, it’s very possible to be included in the new spec. This one is 50/50 as I doubt they will include a big question on the biological approach for both new AS students and old spec students – so one set of students is likely to get this and it could be you guys if they want to go easy on you a little.
- The cognitive approach: the study of internal mental processes, the role of schema, the use of theoretical and computer models to explain and make inferences about mental processes. The emergence of cognitive neuroscience. This section unlike the others within it has had a massive overhaul. Either this or the biological approach is likely in my eyes and this may be a big essay or a small one as it is dependent on whether the biological approach appears or not. This is the other approach I would personally prep for in greater detail.
- Origins of psychology: Wundt, introspection and the emergence of psychology as a science: This section is new and incredibly awkward to write about so if you need help, download my ebook above as it covers it in detail. It won’t be a full essay I think but may make an appearance as a smaller question.
- The fight or flight response including the role of adrenaline. I can’t really say why I think this is more likely beyond the fact that I think this has the highest chance of being a 12 marker within this topic of biopsychology. It’s also easier than the other topics I think so I’m hoping AQA choose to be nice to our new set of AS students. Its less likely than other topics however as a full essay in this exam in my opinion but may appear in a smaller form.
- Definitions of abnormality (describe and evaluate): If this comes up it may ask you to describe and evaluate up to two definitions of abnormality. This would be more in line with what the old specification use to be like as the other topics were taken from the A2 element of the old spec and it would be pretty harsh to expect AS students to pick up A2 content really quickly. I’m hoping AQA are kind and ease you in by covering this topic which was part of the old AS unit 2 exam.
- The behavioural approach to explaining phobias – I did a comparison table which was an absolute nightmare to create and I can see this type of question hasn’t appeared as a full essay for the phobic disorders topic (which is now what phobias is in this unit 2 exam paper). Compared to the other topics (depression and OCD and explanations and treatments) this one appears like it’s a possibility – check the one below too.
- The Cognitive approach to explaining depression – The comparison table also told me this one is likely too as it’s not had a question focus on psychological treatments for depression in the last 3 exam windows. This is more likely than the one above actually but both need to be prepared for.
Ok so these are my thoughts – what are yours? Is this helpful? I hope so – it took a long time to do it! If you want to be awesome tag your friends, share this, subscribe and follow me via social media!