To begin revision for social influence for AQA psychology paper 1, we need to first break this topic down. I’ve done this below listing all the topics you need to know for this section. Just to add, you will be sitting this topic at AS level as well as when you do the full A level for psychology too in your second year (assuming you choose to continue beyond AS psychology). You will sit modified versions of each topic which can have essay questions worth up to 16 marks at A level (up from 12 previously as AS psychology). So it’s important you get a handle on this topic as well as create model essay answers for each one to prepare you for the essay questions that can be asked for each topic below.
- Types Of Conformity: Internalisation, Identification and compliance.
- Explanations for conformity: Informational social influence and normative social influence, and variables affecting conformity including group size, unanimity and task difficulty as investigated by Asch.
- Conformity to social roles as investigated by Zimbardo.
- Explanations for obedience: Agentic state and legitimacy of authority, and situational variables affecting obedience including proximity, location and uniform, as investigated by Milgram. Dispositional explanation for obedience: the Authoritarian Personality.Explanations of resistance to social influence, including social support and locus of control.
- Minority influence including reference to consistency, commitment and flexibility.
- The role of social influence processes in social change.